*** Attention! Calling all writers !!! ***
2014 Short Story Contest
IFWA, Calgary’s Imaginative Fiction Writers Association invites you to submit your original written works of fiction to our 2014 short story contest ‘In Places Between’.
IFWA will hold the contest in conjunction with the new When Words Collide literary convention to promote the writing and enjoyment of popular fiction in all its forms.
Contest Rules and Requirements
• Deadline is extended to April 15, 2014
• All authors must be members of the When Words Collide convention
• No contest entry fee
• Eligible writers are not professional writers
• Short stories of up to 4,000 words maximum
• Two submissions per entrant maximum..
• Competition format – for print submissions, a separate first page that includes the author’s name, address, email and phone with the word count and title of the story. The actual story will have no author information included: we do blind judging. The name of the story should be in the header on each page, and the pages should be numbered. For electronic submissions, please use the web form available on the webpage or mail a .rtf version of the story to email@example.com
• Stories are judged on a combination of factors, including professional presentation, originality, ingenuity, entertainment factor, character, plot, spelling, grammar, and other authorial skills.
All stories will be read and rated to provide the top ten stories. All remaining submissions will be returned with a short critique of the work with notes to suggest improvements.
$125.00 – First Place
$100.00 – Second place
$75.00 – Third place
$25.00 – Honorable mentions (7)
The top stories will be printed in the annual In Places Between Short Story chapbook publication. A copy of this publication will be provided to each of the top ten authors.